Job Title: Business Analyst
Contract Type: Full Time, Permanent
Job Location: Westbury, New York
Intended Hire Date: ASAP
The Business Analyst translates business and system needs into requirements for Designers, Developers and Testers to consume and uses requirements elicitation, analysis, and specification verification techniques for this purpose. The Business Analyst may work on multiple requests simultaneously, for more than one user department. The Business Analyst is engaged in work efforts at various scales ranging from minor defect fixes and enhancements to assistance with development of new applications. They are also involved in various types of solution approaches (custom development, page implementation, etc.) and solution domains (business applications, data warehouses, web services, infrastructure, etc.). The Business Analyst will demonstrate a knowledge of the software development lifecycle and AGILE methodology.
• Build a relationship between business partners and the IT department relative to requirements, solutions and priorities
• Develop requirement documentation that will translate business needs into requirements that can be understood by the solution development team
• Participate as needed in IT design reviews to ensure compatibility and interoperability of computing systems
• Develop a knowledge of system capabilities and functions of assigned application software. Use this knowledge to recommend optimal solutions to business requirements that best leverages the product
• Manage special projects as assigned by management
• Provide advice and recommendations on emerging IT trends
• Provide advice and consultation to other Business Analysts on more difficult and complex assignments and implement ways to reuse requirements across projects
• Ensure that proposed system features and requirements meet user needs and satisfy
business objectives and initiatives
• May assist in creation and implementation of test plans that are mapped to documented requirements
• Perform and coordinate User Acceptance Testing (UAT) and/or BETA presentations as required on department related projects
• Create training and system documentation, conduct training sessions as necessary
• Meet professional obligations through efficient work habits such as meeting deadlines, honoring schedules, coordinating resources and meetings in an effective and timely manner, and demonstrate respect for others
• All work responsibilities are subject to having performance goals and/or targets established
(These essential functions are not to be construed as a complete statement of all duties performed. Employees will be required to perform other job-related duties as required.)
• Bachelor’s Degree in Business Administration, Computer Science, Finance, Education, or Information Systems ; or equivalent combination of education and relevant experience
• Industry certifications in business analysis, software systems, network or project management disciplines, preferred
• CBAP® (Certified Business Analysis Professional) Certification, preferred
• Three years’ experience as a business analyst or similar system/business support role and/or Five years’ experience with internal systems, such as VSA Suite and LMS, plus 3 or more years’ experience teaching or managing teachers
• One year experience and proficiency with knowledgebase, defect tracking, and requirements related software systems (such as ServiceNow, IBM Rational RequisitePro, JIRA, etc.)
• Three years’ experience and proficient with core software applications, including Microsoft applications (Word, Excel, PowerPoint, Visio).
• Some experience with design and implementation of technical environments using various technologies and languages.
• Knowledge of importing data for use in report software, spreadsheets, graphs, and flow charts.
• Experience in one or more of the following disciplines: Educational technology, financial systems including a firm understanding of generally accepted accounting principles, enterprise resource planning, customer relationship management, and human resource information systems.
• Experience working in a team-oriented, collaborative environment.
• Three years’ experience in SDLC methodologies, (such as AGILE), preferred
Knowledge, abilities and skills:
• Experience with business and technical requirements analysis, modeling, verification and methodology development
• Knowledge of system testing and software quality assurance best practices and methodologies
• Demonstrated project management skills
• Proven analytical, mathematical, communication, and creative problem-solving skills
• Understanding of the organization’s goals and objectives
• Strong listening, interpersonal, written, and oral communication skills
• Logical and efficient, with keen attention to detail
• Highly self-motivated and directed
• Ability to effectively prioritize and execute tasks while under pressure
• Strong customer service orientation
• Ability to evaluate information from multiple sources, reconcile conflicts, decompose high-level information into details and abstract low-level information to a more general understanding
• Ability to utilize solution modeling to represent requirements information in graphical forms that augment textual representations in natural language
• Ability to communicate clearly with end-users, peers and management through use of business analysis plans, status, and develop and deliver presentations
• Ability to deal with varied and difficult personalities while maintaining an even temperament
Frequency of travel: Occasional travel is required for meetings, trainings and conferences; location may vary and may require overnight stays